Opening Song – “Family Business” Kanye West (4:39- 2004)
Do Now: –
Turn to Page #5 of Native Son. – the book on your desk…
Read “Buddy ran to a wooden box…” to “…hanging on.”
Sketch and Label what you’re picturing in this scene.
- Friday Song Challenge is in full swing.
- SLT’s and HW Check
SLT- I can visualize moments and scenes from the first 10 pages of Native Son.
Circle the verbs, underline the nouns
- New Book! Native Son by Richard Wright.
- This book will take us to our ELA PBAT and Round Table.
- This book is difficult. Most/all whole class texts that you will read from now on (8th Grade, HS, College, Grad School, etc..) are also difficult.
- One strategy I always go to on difficult texts is simple visualization. Making a movie in your mind. Sketching and labeling.
Returning to the Do Now. Page 9
Read Aloud- Native Son Pages 1-10.
Class Work- Stop 3 times to sketch and label scenes from the early part of this novel.
Homework- Finish Chicago Packet
Regular Homework back on! Journal entries.