Opening Song – “Crooked Smile” J. Cole (4:13- 2013)
A) What do you know about Mr. Dalton and his daughter Mary so far? List 5 things.
B) Make a prediction about what will happen between Bigger and The Dalton family. (1-2 Sentences)
Class Notes 1-
Class Notes 2-
- It comes from Anton Chekhov’s famous book writing advice: ‘If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don’t put it there.’
- SLT’s and HW Check
SLT- I can identify Richard Wright’s use of author’s craft in Native Son.
Circle the verbs, underline the nouns
–The idea is that the best author’s have intention for every word they put on the page. So the decisions author’s make to:
- bash the head of a rat and dangle it in front of his sister
- to word a sign, “you can’t win”
- To make Bigger want to be a pilot
- Movie…Scene – Movie that they were actually watching, and Mary Dalton in the credits was intentional
- The fight with Gus, but also destroying the pool table and his relationship wth Doc
- Bigger going to get his gun.
- Reviewing Our Author’s Craft moves
Read Aloud- Pages 40-47
Continue looking for examples of Author’s Craft in Native Son.
Exit Ticket- Make a prediction about the conversation what’s going to happen between Mr. Dalton and Bigger.