Opening Song – “New Friend” No Doubt (4:34- 2004)
Do Now #1 – Read the first part of a TIED Paragraph (the T-I-E) below.
One example of how Bigger’s agitation leads to bad decisions was when Bigger beat up Gus because he was scared to rob Blum and his store. * Bigger “hated Gus because he knew that Gus was afraid, as even he was; and he feared Gus because he felt that Gus would consent and then he would be compelled to go through with the robbery” (Wright, 25).
What’s missing here? (hint: look at where the * is)
Write a few lines that you would add where the * is.
TODAY AFTER SCHOOL = Write Long Support!
** Wednesday is when Engrade print outs go home, but we can send you a special note if you get yourself off the list this week.
SLT’s and HW Check!!!!
SLT- I can explain what the “I” in TIED means and how to implement it successfully in my writing.
Circle the verbs, underline the nouns
Introducing Evidence (the “I” in TIED)
1. Predict (and answer) any questions a reader might have about a quote.
2. Before the quote, write 3-5 sentences that set up and explain (briefly summarize) the part of the story a quote comes from.
Bigger “hated Gus because he knew that Gus was afraid, as even he was; and he feared Gus because he felt that Gus would consent and then he would be compelled to go through with the robbery”
Read Model on Doc Cam — underline any part that counts as the “I” in TIED.
Announcements and Independent Work Time:
- This is due on Friday at 3:00 pm
- You will have one other work session in class, but the bulk of it should be completed at home.
- This WL is directly related to your PBAT.