Opening Song – “Redbone” Childish Gambino (5:12 – 2017)
Do Now #1: Make a list of at least 5 questions you have for Bigger Thomas at this point in the Native Son
Do Now #2: Do you believe that Mary Dalton was murdered? Please explain.
- Where are your missing Write Longs? Lauren and Josh are starting to call homes.
- How we are collecting WL #4
SLT and HW Check
SLT- I can analyze how Bigger Thomas fate unfolds in Native Son.
Circle the verbs, underline the nouns
- Review of Fear- was Mary murdered? – she is most definitely dead, but was Bigger’s intent to kill her?
- Overview of Flight –
- Bigger pins Mary’s death on Jan.
- He then tries to convince his girlfriend to write a fake ransom letter so they can cash in on Mary’s death.
- Bigger does not clean out the furnace well and some of Mary’s bones and an earring are eventually discovered by a group of reporters.
- Bigger flees. His is hunted down by over 5000 men in the Black Belt section of Chicago.
- Eventually he is captured on the roof of an apartment building, in the middle of a blizzard.
- Notes on Fate- Bigger Thomas will be tried for Murder, and sentenced to death at the end of Native Son. The novel ends with Bigger have about 6 hours left to live.
the development of events beyond a person’s control, regarded as determined by a supernatural power
Destined to happen, turn out, or act in a particular way.
- Read Aloud- Newspaper article about Bigger Thomas –
- Bigger is in his cell, he gets a newspaper and reads this. He has not even been arraigned yet.
- What are the possible effects this article could have on Bigger Thomas’s Fate?
At your tables or individually if you’re working alone,
- Sketch and Label/Describe Bigger Thomas as he’s shown in this article.
- Sketch and Label/Describe Bigger Thomas as you see him from reading Part I of the book.
- Use details from the article/part I
- Why might Richard Wright create and include this article in Native Son?
- What are the possible effects this article could have on Bigger Thomas in this story?
- How does this article work to determine Bigger’s Fate.
Independent Work – Choose 1 to read on your own-
Reporters Discover Mary’s Body – Bigger Flees
Pages- 207-221 – “The story went…”
Bigger Is Captured
Page- 260-269 “Bigger was set…”
Exit Ticket- Do you think the author wants the reader (you) to sympathize with Bigger Thomas? Hate Bigger? Please explain.