Opening Song – “Dancing On My Own” -Robyn (2010 – 4:05)
Do Now#1- Write down 1 short term New Years Resolution that you have.
Do Now #2- Write down 1 LONG TERM New Years Resolution that you have.
SLT’s and HW Check – COLLECT Vacation Reading Log.
NEW READING LOGS FOR THIS WEEK’S HW
SLT- I can identify “The Rules” in my Independent Reading Book.
Circle the verbs, underline the nouns
Thinking about our Vacation Reading Log-
- What are the rules of this setting? – This is THE most important question when you’re thinking about any sort of book.
- In Native Son– racial segregation and unequal treatment, black neighborhoods have a different set of rules than white
- Fantasy/Dystopian/Super Heroes – Black Mirror, Game Of Thrones, The Giver, etc… – Dragons are real, people can fly/super strength, etc…, technology is more advanced.
- Teen Drama- “Pricilla and The Wimps” – people pay the Cobras. That’s just the way it is. Mean Girls, 13 Reasons Why, etc…
- Who makes the rules? –
- What happens if the rules are broken?
- How does the setting impact the characters in different ways?
- Independent Work Time:
Option 1- Read for 25 minutes + mentally note “The Rules” of your IR Book.
Option 2- Read for 25 minus +. Jot down what you think “The Rules” of your book are.
- What are the rules in your Independent Reading book as you understand them?
- What happens if a character breaks these rules?